These elder care warning signs could signal that your aging parent or loved one needs in home care.
If you have have noticed any of the following, it may be time to talk about bringing in someone to help…
Personal Care Issues
- Missed medication and/or prescriptions not picked up.
- Hair and fingernails are unkempt.
- Unshaven face.
- Body odor and/or unclean clothing.
- Wearing the same clothes repeatedly.
- Inappropriate clothing for the season.
Home Care Issues
- The house is messy and not maintained in the usual way.
- Bills are behind or not paid at all.
- Appliances are left on.
- Doors are unlocked.
- Trash not taken out.
- Mail forgotten or piled up.
- Piles of laundry.
- Neglected lawn and garden care.
- Neglected pets and/or pet grooming neglected.
Movement and Balance Issues
- Slower movements or an unsteady gait when walking.
- Evidence of falls, such as bruises or skin tears.
- Torn shower curtains.
Driving or Transportation Issues
- A reluctance to leave home.
- Afraid to drive or gets lost easily in familiar areas.
- Has frequent traffic violations.
- Minor Accidents.
- Mysterious dents or scratches on the car.
Food and Cooking Issues
- Marked weight loss or dehydration.
- Foods spoiling in refrigerator.
- Fewer trips to the grocery store.
- Empty refrigerator and/or kitchen pantry.
Memory and Emotional Issues
- Doctor’s appointments are missed.
- Confusion about what day it is.
- Sleeping during the day.
- Crying about trivial matters.
- Lost items such as keys, wallet, or walker.